Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Florentine Flogging: Another Approach to Learning

From Nachtsoul:

I have been trying to get the hang of Florentine flogging after seeing it and not quite getting the hang of it, even though there have been several good visual demonstrations of it. I almost "got it" several times and then lost it again. 

I mentioned this to the teacher of a singletail class I took a couple months ago and he got me over the hump quickly and eeasily. I'm still not as smooth as I'd like to be, but I'm good enough to add it to a flogging session. 

Here ya go: I hope it helps you.

Instead of trying to grok it visually, the teacher showed me the moves and just said to remember the words "over, over, back, back" and that made it click for me. Assuming your right hand is the dominant one:

* For the first "over" you cross your right hand over the top of your left wrist
* For the second "over" you cross your left hand over the top of your right wrist
* For the first "back", you throw backwards with your extended right wrist
* For the second "back", you throw backwards with your extended left wrist

Do this slowly at first just to get the primary motions in muscle memory. Then when you speed it up, the figure eights occur naturally. I'm sure other methods of learning work great for other folks. This is what made it click for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment